There is lots to do at and around Sugarbush
No matter what the season there’s something to do in the Mad River Valley. If you enjoy skiing, fishing, hiking, swimming, or just plain old relaxing you will enjoy yourself here.
Be sure to check the Sugarbush Events Calendar before you head up to see what’s going on. click here »
In the Winter – Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowshoeing, Cross Country and more
Sugarbush Resort North vs South
The condo is located on the south side of the Sugarbush resort. There is a free shuttle, Mad Bus, that stops at the corner of Upper Summit Road and Summit Road. It’s a short walk from the condo and takes you directly to the mountain. Click here for the bus schedule. When you are at the mountain looking to come back to the condo on the shuttle look for the Mountain Condos / 124 bus.
A little about the mountain, the south side is larger, has more lifts and better amenities.
The south side also offers access to the CastleRock lift and terrain. Castlerock is some of the steepest terrain in the east. The trails are heavily moguled and usually thinly covered. The Castlerock terrain does not have snowmaking or grooming so the experience is very similar to Mad River Glen. CastleRock is for expert skiers only, as the sign on the lift reminds you, “there is no easy way down”.
The north side of the resort can be accessed via a shuttle transfer at the base of South or via the SlideBrook lift. The north side is a bit more exposed, usually less crowded and if you ski the north side exclusively for the day it is cheaper. FIS, Black Diamond and Exterminator offer some of the steepest terrain on the mountain. On the most crowded of holiday weekends a trip to the north side is recommended.
To find more info about Sugarbush, Click here »
Mad River Glen
If you find yourself looking for a change of pace head over to Mad River Glen for a classic skiing experience. MRG is known for its expert terrain but don’t fear the “ski it if you can” bumper stickers there is a little of something for everyone over there. http://madriverglen.com/
Looking for something different to do in the Summer
There is golfing, fishing, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and more. Go for swim in the Mad River at Warren falls, or take a trip to VT Teddybear on your way up to Burlington, either way you won’t be dissapointed.
For more information on summer activities at Sugarbush, click here »
Places to eat
There are two local supermarkets, both in Waitsfield, both 5 miles from the condo. Mehurons has a decidedly more local feel and we prefer the meat, cheese and bread selections at Mehurons. Shaws is your run of the mill supermarket. Prices at both are reasonable so do not hesitate to leave the grocery shopping until you arrive.
Beer, wine and liquor; there are a couple options aside from the Supermarkets. One of our favorites is the Waitsfield Wine shop- The wine shop is on Route 100 in Waitsfield, it is owned by Joan and John. The selection is great and Joan and John are very knowledgeable wine experts. In addition to wine they sell select local beers. Citgo just north of the access road on Route 100, they have a decent selection of beers as well as basic essentials you may have forgotten.
Dining out! – It’s a vacation after all
Here is a quick list of places to eat in and around Sugarbush:
- Paradise Deli – located on the sugarbush access road.
- Mother Stuffers – located in the Sugarbush village across from Ches Henri. Dino the owner is from Staten Island, bakes his own bread, and serves Boars Head. What else do you need? They even have a few beers on tap and they are open late Friday and Saturday night. They are closed Wednesday and Thursdays.
- Warren General Store – Located in the town of Warren, but worth the trip if you have the time. They have great sandwiches, delicious salads. Don’t let the kids touch the wood fire stove that heats the building and be sure to check out the covered bridge while you are in town.
- Easy Street Café – Great cafeteria style breakfast and the best home fries around. On Rt 100 North of the access road.
- Big Picture Café – Be sure to try one of their mini donuts and the French toast is well worth the drive. Located in Waitsield on Rt 100, right next to the movie theatre.
- The Den – Good bar fare located in Waitsfield right at the Rt 100/Rt 17 split.
- Castlerock Pub – Good bar food, lots of local beers on draft and you will find live music almost every weekend.
- Timbers – Upscale dining experience with a rustic feel. Located at the base of Sugarbush, in the same building as the Clay Brook hotel.
- Common Man – Great food, impeccable service and a good wine list. Call weeks ahead for a reservation and request the table by the fireplace if you are looking for a romantic night out. The restaurant is on German Flats road, as you begin to head down the access road German Flats will be on your left, the Common Man will be ¼ mile down on your right.
- Pitcher Inn – Great food and service across from the Warren General store. The best wine list in the valley.
- Ches Henri – Classic French cuisine. Located in Sugarbush Village.
- Pizza Soul – Located in Sugarbush Village.
- American Flatbread – American Flatbread is a hugely popular restaurant located in Waitsfield on Rt 100 a few miles north of the Sugarbush Access road and before the Rt 17 split. While the pizza options are artisan, unique and delicious the experience can be very frustrating if you are not well prepared. Flatbread requires that you make reservations in person. On days that the restaurant is open (Thursday through Sundays and select Holiday weeks) you need to drive down to the restaurant and make your reservation. They start taking orders at 4pm and the line forms around 3:45pm. Get there by 3:45pm. The seatings are 5pm, 6:30pm and 8pm with 6:30 being the most popular seating. If you have young children sign up for the first seating. If you sign up for a later seating be prepared to wait, the later the seating the more you will wait. Don’t be surprised if you show up for your 6:30pm seating at 6:15 and don’t sit down until 7:30pm. It is all part of the experience.
- Terra Rosa – Good Italian, located near the bottom of the Sugarbush Access Road
- Sugarbush Inn the grill down under – Located at the Sugarbush Inn, on the Sugarbush Access Road.